The winners of Bestway Wholesale’s Retail Development Awards 2022 have been announced at a glittering ceremony at the London Marriott Hotel, Grosvenor Square, London.
The event saw a 400-strong audience of independent retailers, members of the Bestway Retail symbol group members (Best-one, Bargain Booze and Costcutter) and Bestway Wholesale’s Xtra Local Retail Club, as well as key suppliers, come together to recognise best practice and growth achieved over the past year.
The awards are part of Bestway’s annual Retail Development Programme, which gives independent retailers the opportunity to attend a series of seminars and workshops offering advice and guidance on how to drive growth and best meet their customers’ needs. This is supported by a trade show where retailers can meet suppliers and learn about new products and services and industry trends.
Retailers are then evaluated after six months to see how they have implemented the learnings in their store to help boost category sales and grow their business before they have the chance to enter the awards and potentially win a share of a prize fund worth over £50,000, including £10,000 for the winner of the National Bestway Retailer of the Year.
Dawood Pervez, managing director at Bestway Wholesale, says: “For us here at Bestway, this is one of the most exciting events in the industry calendar. I am always humbled by the sheer talent, commitment and determination of our retailers and nowhere is this evidenced more strongly than within our Retail Development Awards.
“The Retail Development Programme does what it says on the tin. It’s there to help our retailers develop and make more possible within their businesses. With our supplier partners the programme also offers a unique opportunity for retailers and suppliers to get together.
“It’s all about sharing, learning and growing, and whilst our industry is undoubtedly facing unique challenges, let’s not forget we are also facing immense opportunity.
“Tonight’s results are on the back of hard work, dedication and unwavering vision on the part of each retailer.”
The winners are:
Regional and National Awards
- National Bestway Retailer of the Year: Fairways, Wallasey, Merseyside
- Southern Winner: Mini Supermarket, Croydon
- Northern Winner: D&S Stores, Tamworth
- Scottish Winner: Brownlies, Biggar
- Soft Drinks: Four Seasons, Liverpool
- Water: Best-one Plus, St Helens
- Beer & Cider: M R Foodstores, Leamington-Spa
- Wines & Spirits: Stanley Wines, Warrington
- Tobacco: M1 Metro, Manchester
- Confectionery: S&B Supermarket, Northampton
- Crisps & Snacks: Costcutter, Kidderminster
- General Grocery: Green & Fresh, Hackney, London
- Household, Health and Beauty: Simis Food and Wine, Thornton Heath
- Chilled & Diary: Best-one Jacks, Prescot
- Pet Food: Best-one Fiveways, Tipton
- Baby Food: Manor Park Mini Market, Newham, London
- Community Award: Weeley Post Office and Store, Clacton-On-Sea