HEADLINES THIS WEEK:
– MARKETPLACE POSTS REDUCED LOSSES FOR 2014
– FAIRWAY FOODSERVICE EXTENDS PRODUCT RANGE
– BESTWAY GROUP SIMPLIFIES ONLINE ORDERING
MUSGRAVE GROUP LAUDS SALES PERFORMANCE OF MARKETPLACE
MarketPlace, the C&C/wholesale business of Cork-based Musgrave Group, is now ‘the number one partner to Ireland’s foodservice industry’ said group chief executive Chris Martin, reporting on annual results to the end of 2014.
After exceptional costs of 70 million euros and property profit of 11 million euros, there was an overall group loss for the year of 13 million euros – well down on the previous deficit of 113 million euros. Sales declined from 4.83 billion euros to 4.6 billion euros.
While there has been no split in returns for the retail side, which includes Centra and SuperValu, and MarketPlace, which operates from 10 C&C/wholesale sites (seven in the south of Ireland and three in the north), Martin said MarketPlace enjoyed a good year, with sales rising by 8%.
“The strong performance follows a focus on brand development work and investment in our offer to foodservice customers and non-affiliated retailers.”
He added that the purchase of Allied Foods last year will facilitate growth in the division, which services over 45,000 hotels, restaurants and hospitality outlets.
Musgrave Group still awaits a decision by the Competition & Markets Authority on Booker Group’s offer for the group’s UK Budgens and Londis chains.
Tel: Musgrave Group (0035321) 480 3000
FAIRWAY FOODSERVICE EXTENDS PRODUCT RANGE
Fairway Foodservice has introduced 17 seasonal additions to help customers meet the latest trends in the foodservice industry.
The selection includes five gluten-free soups, eight grocery products and four ‘classic’ meals. All were voted for by the group’s member wholesalers at its spring meeting.
Purchasing manager Keith Hepton said: “The new products will add quality and variety at a competitive price.
“In 2014, our two meet the members events generated £1.3 million in business, and the spring 2015 event £832,000. This shows the importance of the events to both our members and suppliers.”
The full list of the new Fairway Foodservice lines includes:
• Beef Lasagne (12 x 500g)
• Beef Lasagne Verdi (12 x 369g)
• Vegetable Lasagne Verdi (12 x 350g)
• Chilli Con Carne (12 x 350g)
• Chicken & Bacon Pasta Bake (12 x 450g)
• Broccoli & Cream Cheese Bake (12 x 336g)
• Gluten-Free Tomato & Basil Soup
• Carrot & Thyme Soup
• Leek, Potato & Stilton Soup
• Chunky Veg & Red Lentil Soup
• Chicken & Leek Soup (all 2kg)
• Dairy-Free Beef & Veg Broth (2kg)
• Jams, including strawberry, mixed fruit, and orange marmalade (3kg)
• Red Kidney Beans (800g and 2.5kg)
• Baking Parchment (450mm x 50m)
• Salted & Unsalted Butter (20 x 250kg)
• Rapeseed Oil (15 litres).
Tel: Fairway Foodservice (01422) 319100
BESTWAY GROUP REVAMPS ONLINE ORDERING
Bestway Group, which claims to be the UK’s leading technology player in the cash & carry/wholesale sector, has announced a number of improvements across its transactional web portals.
Marketing manager Salih Sheikh said that research highlighted several key issues to improve the sites’ functionality, leading to ‘a more user friendly’ search engine to help customers simplify the ordering process.
The new function offers users a range of benefits:
• Predictive searches
• Predictive results, including product visuals
• Historical customer searches, based on previous purchasing behaviour
• Typographical corrections
• Product suggestions – each SKU listing now includes the five most popular items bought with that item.
Said Sheikh: “Web and digital continues to be a pillar of the Bestway and Batleys business. Although cash & carry remains the core part of our business, we are committed to serving those customers who prefer online ordering and delivery or click & collect.”
Tel: Bestway Group 020-8453 1234
Published Date: August 7, 2015