Despite the ongoing challenges brought about by COVID-19, the demand for California walnuts in the UK continues to grow.
The California Walnut Commission (CWC) has been actively promoting its products in the UK since 2016 and so far the results have been encouraging. Recent highlights include retail promotions with Costco, Asda and The Food Warehouse by Iceland which have collectively driven significant volume and sales of California walnuts. New promotional activities and consumer education and outreach campaigns are planned for 2021.
Recent research shows that consumers say walnuts are healthy, nutritious and can be used in a variety of ways.
- 9 in 10 households considered walnuts to be “a good ingredient to use with everyday foods”.
- 93% of consumers surveyed indicated that “walnuts are a good addition to a plant-based diet”.
- 3 in 4 consumers surveyed said that “walnuts are a versatile item they can enjoy in many different ways which is more important than it was prior to the pandemic”.
- 7 in 10 consumers buy walnuts year-round.
- 7 in 10 of shoppers reported that they’ve purchased products containing walnuts – a 25% increase in the past two years.
- 50% of consumers think walnuts are healthier than other nuts.
With the UK seen as a market for innovation, and as overall demand for nuts continues to grow, more walnut-based products are being launched.
So why choose California walnuts? The central valley in California provides ideal soil and climate conditions to grow superior walnuts. California walnuts are grown, harvested and processed following strict Federal and State food safety regulations and the California Walnut Industry has earned a reputation for producing high-quality walnuts while maintaining an exceptional food safety record for over a century. Finished product often exceeds quality standards set by the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture).
Walnuts from California are generally lighter in colour and have a sweet-mild taste with a soft creamy texture, which makes them a versatile ingredient in recipes as well as processed products. They also offer plant-based Omega-3, protein, fibre and a variety of micronutrients that improve nutritional value.
California walnuts have tremendous versatility and can be used in a variety of ways – both savoury and sweet. For recipe ideas and inspiration visit californiawalnuts.co.uk.
To receive details on future California walnut stories and trade initiatives, sign up for the UK newsletter www.californiawalnuts.uk/trade-contact.
Tel: California Walnut Commission (01628) 535755
Published Date: February 26, 2021